Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Heroin.










So I had a bad day. There was stress and there were tears. Normally I would want a drink or even a cigarette, but no, not anymore...
I self-medicated with a relapse on my heroin.
FOOD.
Trail is NOT may favorite town, it is dirty and smelly, but MAN! They have great food there!!
We saw a "pastry shop" on the main street and stopped. I needed some comfort food. I know, bad girl...but...
It was amazing! I bought a homemade whipped cream filled donut covered in real chocolate. It was unbeleiveable!! Kerry bought a layered flaky pastry with whipped cream in between each layer. Please go there if you can, it was even cheap!!
Then we went to the Star Grocery. My doctor recommended it to me, so we went! It was crazy!! A little Italian deli/butchershop/grocery store. It had everything from fresh handmade sausages (which we bought and tasted and were delicious!) to cheeses to bruschetta and figs and ouzo candies and pickled beans and any kind of fresh dried pasta you could ever want! Pasquale is the owner and he works in the back all day making fresh sausages and cutting meats to perfection! In order to get what you want, you have to walk to the back room and talk to him...it's pretty nostalgic! He won't let you buy meats in the summer unless you bring a cooler, because he DEMANDS freshness!! We loaded up at this place, I bought a bunch of stuff for my doctor (as a gift) and we bought a lot for ourselves also...
Then it was time for lunch. We were told to go to "Dee's" a little Italian place on the main street apparently loaded with Italian meats, cheeses, and fresh baking. When we drove past, it was closed. Boo. Next time! We pulled into a little diner called "The Spot". May as well, I had already thrown my new lifestyle out the door, and I still felt pain, sooooo.....
What a great little place! Not only is the decor beautiful! Old robin's egg blue, retro-style booths and tiled floors...but the food was great! I had a chicken burger (lol, the "healthy" choice) it was a fresh chicken breast battered in a homemade mix then deep fried. It was served on a bun with butter and pickles only! It was dreamy! Melt in your mouth! We also shared homemade onion rings, and they too were to die for!
I felt like Racheal Ray from her traveling food show, where she goes to a town and samples all the best fare. It was fun!
But! I am back on my health train tomorrow, unless, of course, my results aren't good. Then lookout! lol. I am sure they will be fine.
So, if you ever get a chance, don't slag Trail! Go there and eat!! It's BELISSIMA!

No comments: