Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Thursday, March 18, 2010

WOMEN READ!!!!

(a rant from my Facebook page)

They say it is SO RARE for a young woman to have breast cancer but one of my closest friends, myself, one of my clients and now 2 local girls have been diagnosed around me. Too many. I want to stress to EVERY woman to consistantley perform self breast exams and if you do find something....DEMAND a mammogram and or ultrasound. If they tell you it looks like a cyst or probably is nothing, DEMAND a second opinion or biopsy!!!! PLEASE!!!! My mom was turned away and carried her lump for months before going back in and finding out it was cancer....I was told over and over again (even after my FREAKING surgery) that "it's not going to be cancerous, you're too young and it looks benign!" (thank god I had a family history or they wouldn't have continued to look into it!!) I don't mean to scare you all, but it really is important. We have to be the advocates of our own bodies. Months can mean everything when it comes to cancer!! And I keep hearing of these stories of women being told by their docs to "watch" their lumps, because they are most likely cysts...and these women walk around for months even years with cancer growing and they don't know it!! And don't get me wrong...I am not saying "don't trust the health care professionals" because they are currently saving my life and I love my crew of docs....BUT! Before they know you have cancer, you are just like anyone else and if the stats don't show you will get cancer, they tend to turn their heads....be persistant. Find out for certain!!
Ok, enough ranting....but I am affected every time I hear a new story. I want to cry because I know that sick, pit in the stomach feeling, finding out, desperate, vacant, horrifying! I hate to know anyone is going thru that. I hate it. I hate cancer.
That's all, I'm done...til next time!

No comments: