Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chemo #3... A Hospital Event!

Yesterday was chemo "hump-day"! My 3rd one of 6.
I decided after my last two puking epidemics, to stay the night at the hospital for this one.
It helped.
A LOT!
I took an Adivan before heading in, I ate a big healthy sandwich during my chemo injections (which may have helped) and the process was much more pleasant.
I had my meeting with my oncologist and told him about the "clear nodes" not really being nodes after all. I told him how I was really upset about my 2 first health care providers on this cancer journey and he suggested I move family physicians. I told him I wasn't sure if I should just wait tilthis cancer was over or do it now. He suggested to do it now. So he made the call and believe it or not, within 12 hours, the new doc (who I had picked out previously) came over to the hospital to greet me and chat. Amazing. That's what I am talking about my friends!! Real caring small town doctors!
I also talked to my oncologist about my some weird brain issues I have been having. Call it a bit of paranoia, but I have been noticing a few abnormal headaches, some minor hallucinating (like seeing a spider on the floor and when I look it isn't there), bad memory, unusually hard time spelling and organizing thought and so on. Now I know these can be symptoms of "chemo brain" (a side effect from the chemo drugs on your brain, temporary) but because my cancer type (both trip neg and Her2 + have a tendency to like to spread to the brain) I thought I would request a brain scan. My oncologist agreed it wasn't a bad idea, so I will be going for that soon.
After my injections of chemo, they moved me to my room. They put me on the quiet maternity wrd in a room with one other sweet girl and I got started on IV saline and stemitol...they kept coming in and switching bags and other than feeling restless leg syndrome and debating whether I'd be able to sleep in a hospital comfortably overnight, I was well. The nurse brought me 3 pillows and an Adivan and Gravol to take orally and after I popped those, I don't remember much.
I woke up in the morning and I couldn't believe I didn't get sick once!! What a nice change. and right now 12:30 the next day, I feel really quite good. I am happy. I have made it half way and over the top of the mountain, now I get the easy way down...a big surgery and the light it bright at the end of this tunnel I am pleased. I am grateful.
I have a cardio ultra sound set up for Saturday (before I start Herceptin next chemo) and I have a consult with my plastic surgeon for April 8th in Kelowna coming up too! It's all coming together. I will keep you all posted as to the progress and results.
Love til then.
Dreamer.

No comments: