Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Monday, March 15, 2010

Love Story

It was 10 years ago I met my husband Kerry.
At the time I was a young single mom living in government housing, waiting tables at a karaoke bar to just pay for day care, so I could wait tables at a karaoke bar.
I remember driving with my sister one day, when I asked her why I was always choosing the wrong man.
She told me I needed to write a list of what my priorities were, in a partner.
When I did this, I realized I was always attracted to men that didn't meet my priorities.
My number one priority was to laugh....
Then I met Kerry.
A friend of a friend from Nelson, BC, we just ended up hanging out in a group on the weekends, when I didn't have my son in tow.
I didn't realize I was attracted to Kerry until eventually I noticed, I didn't want to go out,
unless Kerry was going to be there.
Without Kerry there, I wouldn't laugh, without him there, I wouldn't have fun.
I started to catch on.
He was addicting, and comfortable and I just wanted to be around him all of the time.
Eventually we had our first date, a trip to an amusement park with my son. I remember going on a ride while Kerry watched my one year old son on the side lines.
I noticed they way they were together, and I also noticed they were pretty much wearing the same outfit! Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts and sun hat....
Don't get me wrong, I was in NO way looking for a father to my child. My son had a father, and I was independent and doing fine on my own. I just think it was fate.
I think God knew I needed him.
I think God knew I would need him.
7 months later we were engaged.
Kerry has rescued me over and over again.
He is my anchor.
And now through this time, with my cancer....he has amazed me more than ever.
Never even flinching when he sees my bald head, baggy eyes.
He still looks at me like I am beautiful, and it is genuine.
He picks me up when I am sick and too weak to stand.
He holds my hand when they inject the chemo and I cry.
He wipes my tears.
He wraps his arms around me and kisses me, just the way he would when I was pretty.
He is 33 years old and could have a young, healthy, beautiful wife and instead he has a sick, wife, always needing, who has lost her hair and will lose her breasts soon and he just sticks with me.
He is the best gift I could ever have been given.
Lately when he is around, I start crying uncontrollably, because I am just so grateful to have him in my life.
I am humbled.
I will never take him for granted.
This is my love story.
Thank you Kerry for being my rock.


No comments: