Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Good Weekend.

I had a really great weekend.
I have been trying to really get involved with the breast cancer world. To educate and support those who are affected. I find a major lack of resources in our town here. I especially see a lack of support for us young one's with breast cancer. So I have been in talks with some people at "RETHINK" to discuss ways we can create more support here in small town BC. I am eager and excited. As this journey has taken place, I feel one of my biggest motivations to stay positive and heal, is to help others. I am becoming obsessed with helping. It's kind of sappy even, but I like it. I feel good and I want to make a difference.
I joined the local Dragon Boat Team in town. I think I am the youngest by a good 15 years, but I don't care. I like it. I think it is going to be a blast! I am already looking froward to next year when I will be in shape to actually compete!! For now, I learn and take part in casual rowing on Saturdays. You never know, maybe a younger woman is wanting to join and just needs to see that there is another young member in order for her to join! Let's pave the way!
Last night we had friends over. It was fantastic. I used to be so social, but this cancer thing has really cramped my style. I have only a handful of days per month I can really socialize. So last night we invited a few of our closest friends over for drinks and food and games. I had too much to drink, not WAY too much, but just enough too much. I felt human again. I didn't wear my wig for more than 10 minutes. I rocked the bald all night and no one cared. They love me regardless. We laughed, drank, ate, sang karaoke, argued, laughed and it was awesome.
I have said so many times now... when you get cancer you get a set of "goggles" they are the goggles in which you see the beauty in little moments. When you wear the goggles you see things for how special they really are. The goggles are the best gift you could ever receive. I had the goggles on last night. I truly value my friends. This whole cancer thing has really shown me who my true friends are. The most interesting people have come forward with beautiful words, actions and even gifts for me. Some of the people I would have expected to be here for me, haven't... and then some people I haven't heard from in years have made themselves present.
All I know is I am truly blessed.
I love my friends, I love my goggles, and I am so grateful to be seeing the world with such a clear, positive outlook.
I am refreshed.

No comments: