Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Filgrastim/Neupogen

Hello world.
Yesterday I had my first Filgrastim shot. This is a routine my oncologist has encouraged in his chemo regime. After the second chemo treatment we wait 5 days and then we give me a shot everyday for a 5 day run, then repeat again after next chemo til my chemo is over. Every oncologist has a different way, some people don't get the shot unless they need it.
The shot is an amino acid protein injection that helps stimulate white blood cell production so that, during chemo, you don't have neutropenia (or infection due to low blood cell count).
So yesterday I went into the hospital so they could teach me and my mother in law how to give the needle. I was NOT looking forward to it. Needless to say, I didn't learn (I layed there with my eyes covered), but my mother in law did. She is a retired nurse anyway, so there wasn't much to learn. I had myself worked up into a nauseous state. I just hate needles!!
It was a piece of cake. I numbed my belly with a cold pack and then didn't even feel it going in (that doesn't mean I won't cringe next time). But seriously, it didn't hurt at all. The only side effect you are supposed to have from the shot is achy muscles and bones. Apparently we produce bone marrow (white blood cells) in our hips, so your hips will generally ache. I felt like shit after my shot. But I don't think it was the shot, I think it was the stress related to the day, plus the fact that I hadn't had a proper bowel movement in days....
I spent the rest of the night with a headache, some nausea and light body aches. It wasn't anything to really complain about, mostly I just wanted to have a bowel movement.
Today I had another shot. About 2 hours ago. Again, no pain with the needle going in at all, but after about 10 minutes my belly felt a bit sore, again, nothing major. Right now I feel fine. A bit dizzy, but that's usual for me for the first week after chemo. When I get tired, I get a bit dizzy. I am sure I will feel totally normal again tomorrow.
So that's Filgrastim 101. If anything changes with my side effects, I will let you know, otherwise it's a piece of cake and nothing to ever worry about!
Ciao.
UPDATE!! I didn't have any achyness or side effects at all last night from my shot...I feel great today (minus heartburn lol.)

No comments: