Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Thursday, February 11, 2010

CENSORED and RETHINK

This first half of my post is not for the faint of heart.
If you don't want to hear about my body parts, skip down the the second half of the post. :)


I was beginning to think that chemotherapy side effects only took place the first week after the treatment, because for the last 2 weeks (other than my cold) I felt completely normal.
I was wrong.
Yesterday I started losing hair, and it wasn't on my head or armpits or legs.
You hear what I am sayin'? If I even pinch it, it all comes out!!! Kinda weird! It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just falling out!! I knew this would eventually happen and I was all trimmed up, so I wouldn't have "curly's" all over the house!! LOL! Can you imagine!
I also have about 4 canker sores on my tongue and a new weird "owie" on my hand.
I'm a little concerned about the "owie" because they say things don't heal the same during chemo, and I need to be in tip top shape to continue with treatment next week.
I stopped rinsing with baking soda cause I felt so good and my gums seemed back to normal, but I guess I shouldn't have cause now I have all these annoying canker sores on my tongue....I feel it's important to blog about these things, because these are the things other women with cancer would want to know, so they can compare situations, or just get a glimpse of how it all goes down.



On a more EXCITING note: I received my FREE pink Blackberry Pearl yesterday from RETHINK Breast Cancer. "Rethink" (rethinkbreastcancer.com) is a National organization made for young women aged 25-40 who have been diagnosed with, or affected by breast cancer. It is a great database of info and has support for specific types of breast cancer. My good friend Shannon (who has had breast cancer) I like to call her my "mentor", is a volunteer for this organization and sells her cute little books that she wrote! She donates part of the proceeds to Rethink. Last year Rethink ran a program where Telus gave a free Blackberry Pearl (in pink of course) to anyone in the age group who had been diagnosed. Telus also paid for a year of free FULL service, pretty much unlimited everything! The goal was to help young women keep track of appointments, stay in touch with family and so on. They haven't decided to continue the program this year yet but, because I know Shannon, I lucked out and got a phone. Good thing too, because I am an ideal candidate. We only have one shitty cell phone with "pay as you go". My appointments are all over BC (Trail, Kelowna, Nelson) and my family all lives in Alberta. So I will really benefit from this phone. I am so grateful. The bottom line is that Rethink has great programs for us young and affected women. They help find answers, they help ease the worry and they are continuously evolving.....Everyone should check out the Rethink website, even if just to buy a book or make a donation. This is an organization I truly believe in. The British Columbia wing of Rethink is called Breast Cancer Now What? Here is their website also... www.breastcancernowwhat.ca

...and the link for the books!
http://www.thebreastbooksever.com/

http://www.thebreastbooksever.com/

No comments: