Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chemo likes milk.

Ok. I blog truth. But I do not want to scare people here. Please keep in mind, when I post my experiences they are only my experiences. Everyone goes through things differently. In fact there are few things I have read about in other blogs regarding chemo, that I have gone through. So if you have cancer, don't think, my experiences are going to necessarily will be yours.
I had chemo #2 yesterday.
My nurse knew that I was quite ill last time and told me over the phone to start taking my anti-nauseants a day before treatment. So I did. I found out when I got to the hospital I was taking the wrong ones. whoops. Not sure if that contribute to my illness this time or not, but I don't think it helped the way it was supposed to.
I was sick. Maybe even sicker than my first treatment. It's not like a nightmare kind of sick or anything, but it really sucks. Like a BAD hangover or a BAD flu. And it really lingered this time. I have barely left my bed in over 24 hrs.
My husband and I think they may have upped my dose of EPIRUBICIN (the Red chemo drug they manually inject). When I saw her put in 2 viles, I thought maybe it was more than last time, as I only remember one vile. Then last night my husband said the same thing. Not sure if this was protocal or we are wrong, or regardless if this has even contributed to me being so sick but I will bring it up next time.
(update: we were wrong, they broke the drug amount into two half viles...but I am glad we brought it up, better safe than sorry..)
I only have one more treatment of this concoction. Apparently most people don't feel pukey on the last regime. Though starting Monday I have to get my Filrastim shots. These puppies are EXPENSIVE!!! And I have to give them to myself in the belly for 5 days in a row each cycle of chemo. My mother in law is going to administer the first few at least, but them they go on holidays, so I will have to learn to do them myself in March. I hear they are a piece of cake, but just the thought of giving yourself a needle is so yuck!
I have been really nauseous. I find (like last time) food is a weird thing. Most food seems gross, but you have to have the right amount of food in your belly to keep from feeling sick. There is a fine, fine line. And finding what belongs in there is tricky too. Certain foods make me gag. But I did find my one comfort that makes me feel better all the time.
Milk.
My chemo likes milk. It is one of the few things that takes away the nausea. So I will sip it all day. I assume I will feel better tomorrow. Hopefully I can take a walk or something. Fresh air would be good. All I have done is sleep and watch Olympics, which is starting to bore the hell out of me, but it seems all I can do for now.
Tomorrow is a new day, and I am making progress,
light at the end of the tunnel!!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg6nISF_5YHYLhrtGK5ewjh8soKf1h_sDcT-3Rx9O_tp09-X2aAVDCKrFOef_1Z68dWKiWQAQa2wHqH1JD_DYywU9hM4WDtfLr5s1dxxOxymcPGrDpc5HHSUz5iNAE0_KodjAjrhUDvAoHe/s400/seth_bald_milk.jpg
PS. this is a man, not a picture of me, though it kind of looks like me right now. ;)

No comments: