Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dreams Cancer Patients Have.

http://www.pdwhite.com/images/Midsummer_s_Night_Dream.jpg

This is a big topic for me.
I have always been the girl who has fabulous dreams and remembers them.
I have even been able to control my dreams at times, and create beautiful scenarios.
Dreams do change when you are diagnosed with cancer.
At least they have for me.
I have long dreams about me getting my treatments....so boring and tedious.
I have had dreams about me being in my house, living with my cancer, which I do everyday.
Basically most of my dreams are continuations of my normal life, so I never really feel I get an escape.
But it's better than the nightmares.
I have had a few.
I dreamed the other night, actually it was the day I found out my MRI results looked good, the first day I felt like I wasn't going to die from my disease. I dreamed that night that a good friend wrote me a note that said "Megan, I am sorry, but your cancer isn't gone...it has metastisized and spread to your liver, you are terminal, no one knew how to tell you. I will pick you up in an hour to start a new session of treatment." This dream was hard because I fell asleep feeling so positive, so I didn't sign up for a dream like that. When I woke, I wondered if it was a sign?
Early on in my diagnosis, I had nightmares all the time. Dreams of being told I was going to die. they felt so real, and painful. I would wake up crying.
Often I would just have dreams of me being told I had cancer...it felt so real and painful, I would wake up crying, and then realize it wasn't a dream. That was the worst.
I have dreamed of loved ones that have passed, and them talking to me, these dreams are special, I often think they are real. I have read that one of the only ways your dead loved ones can communicate to you is through dreams.
Either way, my dreams have changed. Instead of being a beautiful escape, they are usually quite exhausting.
I look forward to the days where I can be myself again...fully.
Dreamer.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

It would be much better to have an escape from reality when you dream... however some psychologists believe that nightmares help reduce psychological tensions, allowing troubled sleepers to cope with emotional ordeals. Hopefully this is at least partly true for you.

Also... your wig looks great! Nice choice!