Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Saturday, January 23, 2010

These are a few of my FAVORITE THINGS!

http://kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com/files/2008/12/the-hills-are-alive.jpgEver since I was dealt my "hand", I have been searching high and low for things to make my life a) healthier b) more comfortable Thanks to hundreds of friends and family, I have easily succeeded. Now I want to share with you! Even if you don't have cancer, a lot of these things you will LOVE! I assume I will be adding to this list along the way, but for now, here we go!

#1. GREEN PAN- Oh yeah! Thanks to my cousin for this referral and thanks to my in-laws for buying me two! These pans are non-stick, but also non-toxic, PTFE- free, PFOA-free. Basically Teflon is bad, it releases toxic gases into the air which are extremely harmful to you. This pan is free of these chemicals AND cooks anything without sticking (so far)! It is so easy to rinse clean and it works amazing for crepes! The best pan ever, regardless of it being chemical free. WORTH the extra few bucks it costs to purchase!
http://www.green-pan.com/

#2. NIKKEN WATER COOLER- I had this before I even found out I had cancer, and I have always loved it! Mine is different than the one below, it sits on a base with hot and cold functions...I make my tea with it too! You pour your own water from the tap into the top and it filters down while adding minerals (see the rocks) back into the water. Such a cheap way to drink clean, healthy water! Love it!!!
http://www.righttouchmobilemassage.com/images/products/02.gif
http://www.nikken.com/shop/details/!pimag-aqua-pour-deluxe

#3. BREWER'S YEAST- Delicious! Thanks to A&D for introducing me to this one!! Though my husband has been eating it forever on popcorn!! These delicious flakes are found at most healthy markets, organic markets and such and usually are found in the bulk section. They are packed full of vitamins and minerals and taste so good! Usually you don't eat them by themselves (if you try them this way, you may be grossed out) I sprinkle it on cooked rice, vegetables, meat even. It adds a saltier, rich flavor. The very best thing, is it on popcorn!! Popcorn is a recommended snack for anyone on any kind of diet (especially cancer diets!) Just air pop and just lightly spritz the popcorn with butter or oil, just enough to moisten it, the flakes add all the flavor!! It is a delectable healthy snack, you never need to feel guilty about!! I LOVE IT!!
http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Health_Benefits_of_Brewers_Yeast

#4. JUICER- I have Jack Lalaine's juicer. It is awesome! My Mom bought it for me at Canadian Tire for around $100 bucks. It is worth it!! Easy to clean, and separates the juice and pulp. I freeze the pulp and then add it to sauces, soups, chili's (or if fruit, muffins!) I juice veggies mostly. Certain things juice better than others. My fav combo is...celery, carrot, red pepper, greens (kale, romaine, chard...anything) and then I sprinkle "spike" in it. Spike will be next on my list. This juice is yummy and full of good things!!


http://www.powerjuicer.com/


#5. SPIKE- This is a seasoning that's been around for a long time! It is recommended in many cancer diet books as a healthy substitute to bleached table salt. I will list the ingredients below. Please do not confuse it with Accent. Accent is basically MSG. Yuck. I buy Spike bulk from the natural food store, or you can get it at health and vitamin stores. Basically a healthier version of seasoning salt. It's garlicy and de-lish!

Spike's Seasoning Ingredients contains:
Salt and sea salt crystals, special high flavor yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, mellow toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy flour, celery leaf powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry, horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory, mustard flower, sweet green and red peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon, rosehips, saffron, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder, cayenne pepper, plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best Greek oregano, French sweet basil, French marjoram, French rosemary, and Spanish thyme.



#6. http://www.gaiam.com/ - I love this website. I stumbled upon it recently, because I bought a DVD made by this company. I love this DVD. It is divided into 3 parts. Upper Body, Lower Body and Abs/Back. Each workout is 25 minutes long and is perfect when time is limited! My DVD is included when you buy the balanceball and resistance band kit...it is called Total Body Balanceball Kit and it is on the site. I found a lot of Qigong stuff on this site too, like beginners DVD's etc!! All in all, a one stop shop.

#7. Kootenay Bath Salts...EMPEROR'S BATH- Yum, yum, yum! These natural bath salts made in Nelson, make my mouth water. The problem? I use them up too quickly!! I have a preference to this flavor, though there are many. When I have had a bad day, a small glass or organic red wine, and a hot bath with these salts fixes everything. Thanks to my sis-in-law who always buys them for me...she knows how much I love them!!!
http://www.kootenaysoap.com/

#8. RICEWORKS SEA SALT CRISPS- These are delicious, and quite a bit healthier than usual chips or crackers. High in fibre and soooo tasty! They are a bit pricier, but when I want a treat, it's worth it. Yummy!!
http://www.riceworkssnacks.com/new_index_USA.html
Benefits include:
-No preservatives, all natural, no artificial flavors
-Wheat/Gluten free
-33% less fat than potato chips
-Vegan and Celiac Friendly
-Kosher Certified
-Cholesterol Free.

#9. JOSHUA RADIN "SIMPLE TIMES" CD- I downloaded this on my IPOD and it is quite literally the soundtrack to my cancer experience. I am in love with this album. My husband says it's "boring" but it has made me cry, laugh and brightened my day. You can hear samples on his website. Best Songs? Brand New Day, I'd Rather Be With You,
http://www.joshuaradin.com/Sky(featuring Ingrid Michaelson), Vegetable Car.
***Did I mention he's a little bit attractive?

#10. ALLRECIPES.COM- Kick ass website with recipes for anything!!! Plus it lists the nutritional info for every recipe!! It has helped me create many healthy meals!! One thing I have learned, which I find exciting through all of this, is never be afraid to change recipes to work for you. Most recipes are flexible (yes, even baking!) I love substituting oat or spelt or whole wheat flour in place of all purpose. Apple sauce or banana for butter. Maple syrup, honey or (I just heard from my good friend Shannon) brown rice syrup instead of sugar! So awesome! I also cram everything full of veggies now. Again, the pulp from the juicer, is ground right up and will dissolve into nutrients into just about anything!!

Well that's it for now folks! I will definitely be adding some more as things go on....but these are so far, my most favorite! I hope you adopt one or more of these products....ENJOY!

No comments: