Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vacation














Have you ever had a weekend that was just perfect??
Nothing happened that bothered you, nothing stressed you out...
It just unfolded naturally and harmoniously as if it were a dream?
I just had one of those weekends!
My friends from Calgary had all planned a trip to Fernie. They rented a HUGE log chalet up at the ski hill and planned to just have a getaway. They invited my husband and I months back, but with the cancer treatment, we can never predict how I will be feeling and so, we find it hard to commit to things.
We left the opportunity on the table and about 2 weeks before the trip was planned. I decided I needed a vacation. Unfortunately my husband had to stay in Nelson and work, but I decided to make the 3.5 hour drive and bring my daughter along for the fun.
It was Mother's Day weekend and I thought it would be nice to have one of the kids with me.
The weekend was filled with good conversation, laughter and AMAZING FOOD! The guys watched a lot of hockey and played pool.
The girls, sipped drinks on the couch, played with the kids and even had time for a few dunks in the hot tub!!
On Saturday, the girls all went to the spa while the men stayed home with the kids....because I am sick of filling out paperwork, checking the "I have cancer" box (which is for some reason on EVERY form) I decided to take my daughter horseback riding instead of going to the spa.
It was dreamy!! Though I got a little nervous once we arrived at the ranch, our horses ended up behaving VERY well....we rode like naturals and enjoyed the gorgeous surroundings! I think my daughter found a new passion!! I know I did.
After the ride, we went to town and have a mother/daughter lunch. Homemade soup and deli style sandwiches, just what the doctor ordered!
That evening we all had a gigantic fondue!
Oil fondue with a selection of beef, chicken, pork, scallops, shrimp and a variety of tempura vegetables to cook to your own liking....There was cheese fondue with fresh bread and pretzels....Then there was a delicious chocolate fondue for dessert, with marshmallows, cream puffs and a selection of fruits to dip.
This spread accompanied by bottles of wine, made for a fantastic evening.
We slept when we wanted to, played games when we wanted to and even had an impromptu jam session to enjoy, where three guitars played catchy song for over an hour.
Though my body was not used to being away from home (and it showed!) the extra canker sores, hemorrhoids and fatigue was well worth it all.
Some priceless bonding time with my daughter, sister and friends....was exactly that, PRICELESS!
Can't wait to do it next year!

No comments: