Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Good, The Bad and the EXPENSIVE!!!

May is a month of chaos.
It always has been, it always will be.
When you have cancer, it is no exception.
My beautiful, sweet boy (dog) Shabba, hurt himself a while back and his leg got progressively worse.
It turns out he snapped his crucious ligament. Basically this means he broke the main ligament in his leg.
He couldn't walk on it at all for over a week.
Yesterday he went in for surgery.
It is a big surgery with a big bill.
$2000.00 to fix my baby boy.
Yikes!
But how can you not pay it?
What are you gonna do? Put your dog to sleep because his leg is broken?
I would bloody well hope not.
The worst part of it all is the care his is going to need over the next few weeks....
He needs needles, pills, and to be leashed when he goes out to pee.
He isn't allowed to jump or climb stairs for 8-12 weeks!!
If any of you know, we live on a mountain side, and our yard and deck and even inside our house is stairs everywhere!!
So instead of just keeping him out on the deck to roam as he pleases, I have to keep him locked up and then time out his potty breaks and supervise the whole thing. I am supposed to also lift him down the stairs to get to the lawn....this is not going to happen as he weighs 85 llbs and once I get chemo'd I will be very weak.
This sucks!!
I just want him to get better.....the 2 of us!

The good you ask?
Well, my good friend from work and her mom have spontaneously organized a Cut-A-Thon on my behalf!! The mom (I'll call her B) is the instructor of the hair college here in town, and she decided that on Monday she is getting a bunch of her girls to cut hair all day to raise money for...MOI?
It's crazy!! I am flattered, and taken back by her generosity....especially because I don't even know any of the students dedicating their time for me.
This is an amazing gesture that makes me feel warm inside and I will remember always.
The ironic part, is that when I was going to pay my vet bill yesterday (the $2000.00 vet bill) I looked at the bulletin board and my name caught my eye....when I read the poster it was for the Cut-A-Thon...and read "raising money for a local woman, Megan Simpson"...I just smiled as I thought, "no shit, I need that money to pay my bloody vet bill!!"
Truly though, I have a lot of crazy expenses coming up. For my husband to stay in Kelowna while I have my surgery is over $700.00 and that is the discounted rate. Add in meals, gas, meds, my vet bill and it's an entire months income if not more!
I have a few ideas of where I want to donate the raised money, and if we need to, I will keep a little to help pay for the trip to Kelowna.
Hopefully, though, I can donate the lot.....I feel that is what I would like most, to do.
Thanks to everyone who is a part of this fund raiser....
Thank you
Thank you.

No comments: