Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chemo affects as treatment progresses.


Because I blogged so much about the side effects of chemo at the start of my treatment, I thought it is important to explain how things are closer to the end of treatment.
First off, I think you catch on fairly early how to handle the effects, which helps things. I learned that staying at the hospital prevents me from the BARFS! So I have been going with that....
I general, after my fifth treatment, I feel like the effects last longer but aren't as severe immediately after the treatment, like they were in the beginning.
In the beginning, I found I'd be flat on my ass for the first 5 days and then after that, I wouldn't have many signs that I had even had a chemo treatment.
Now, though, I feel not to shabby for those first few days (just tired) and then the side effects start....canker sores, constipation with hemmorhoids, heartburn.....all seem to start late and last way longer! In fact, I am still battling these effects two weeks later!!
I have some good news though, I am getting my hair back. It started a month ago, coming in like fluff and then when I went to my chemo appointment the nurse told me it would fall out after the treatment.
Luckily, it did not! It is coming in quite nicely and I must admit, it is very nice to feel soft hair on my head again. I have just been rubbing my hand back and forth on it over and over again....
I am curious as to how my body reacts after this next chemo. I have made plans to go camping 2 days after treatment, and so I hope for the best.....
I am very excited to be finished the chemo treatments.
This camping trip can be a celebration trip!!!

No comments: