Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Monday, July 5, 2010

Who says "walkers" aren't sexy?




So, I have managed to weasel my way out of the hospital ALREADY!! And really, I didn't even have to "weasel" my way out...it was my surgeon's idea!! I was moved yesterday afternoon from the SCCU (critical care unit) where I had my own room, FAB nurses who babied me and made me feel like I was at the Shangri-La...to the regular old crowded hospital room and it was GHETTO! I'm sorry but the hospital was sooo busy, so I was put in a room with 3 other people. A chill guy awaiting surgery...A crazy voluptuous Russian cougar who had done something to her finger, was in there for 16 days and from the minute I stepped into the room till I left 19 hours later she just would NOT stop saying how excited she was to be checking out today...she was the epitome of cuckoo! And the third lady....non stop all night moaning and crying about her sore legs and her need for more pain meds...plus she had black toes and one was missing, so every time I looked straight ahead, I saw her mangled feet...(I know, it's mean, but it was horrible!)
So needless to say, when my surgeon came in and said I could leave today, I was shocked, but happy!!
Plus, you don't get much help in this ward...I had a nurse come in and hand me a basin of water. a towel and a new gown and tell me to clean myself up. I can't even SIT up in bed without help!! So I decided, it WOULD be best for my healing to leave early. I am now in the basement suite my mom and Kerry rented for the week, and we will stay here for 2 nights and come home in a few days.
It has been a challenge, I move VERY slowly and hunched over, and it is hard to do anything for myself...but I have a walker and when I am sitting or laying, I don't feel ANY pain and feel in good spirits. I am just so glad to have this major thing over with!!
Surgery ended up being 12 hours long but my body has been fab at healing and cooperating. Every scary thing that has come up (drains removed, first time standing up etc) I have just thought, "I just made it through a 12 hr surgery, I can do this. I can handle anything!!" My body looks so great so far. I expected to look like Frankenstein, but all I have is 2 small incisions under each breast, 2 new nipples with a few stitches, and an incision on my lower belly (not much bigger than a cesarean) my belly looks flat and all of my stretch marks are gone, and my boobs look good! I hope they don't change too much over time, I like them! All of the nurses keep saying how amazing they are and I have no bruising or real swelling, so that's good.
I am just happy the cancer has been removed (if there was any left, I will find out next week) and I don't have much worry now of having recurrence. My chances have gone down drastically....I am so grateful to my friends, family and especially my husband and mom, for taking such good care of me and all of the love and support for this hurdle. Thank you all! (I even got a new engagement ring from Kerry when I was in the hospital!! (it's amazing!)
So though, the next few weeks will be a challenge to heal my body and learn how to move again...I am just beaming that my journey is coming to an end. I feel like even through all of the hell I have endured...I am coming out on top and a far happier, healthier, BETTER person.
I am so grateful.
<3>

No comments: