Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

MILESTONES








Just sitting here thinking about how far I have come in a week.
For any of you considering this surgery, looking at the milestones I have overcome will give you some insight as to how this surgery is...

Most Noteworthy Milestones over the last week...
  1. Walking into the hospital on the morning of surgery.
  2. Laying myself on the surgical table minutes before surgery (the ultimate surrendering of body and control)
  3. Keeping it together for the first hours post surgery (mental control)
  4. Using my hands for the first time and small movements of arms.
  5. Moving my legs and being able to bend up my knees.
  6. Having someone sit me up on the edge of my bed.
  7. Laying back down into bed from sitting.
  8. Being able to brush my own teeth.
  9. Being able to feed myself.
  10. Standing for the first time.
  11. Walking from the bed to the chair (with walker) for the first time (4 feet)
  12. Sitting in a chair that wasn't my bed.
  13. Being able to slightly turn my body from one side to the other in bed (this one I am still working on)
  14. Walking (with walker) from bed to nursing station (8 feet)
  15. Doing a lap around my ward with walker
  16. Walking with out walker (8 feet)
  17. Getting in a vehicle
  18. Walking up and down stairs (with rail)
  19. Lying myself into bed without any help (last night for the first time)
  20. Getting up and out of bed without any help (yesterday for the first time)
So you can see from above how limited mobility one has after this surgery...but you can also see how quickly one can turn corners. Everyday there is a new milestone I accomplish thanks to my body's cooperation, it helps keep me motivated.
Next goal? Break Dancing...
It may be a while..
:)

No comments: