Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Massages Make The World Go 'Round'

I was given a gift certificate for a massage quite a while back, from my in-laws.
I didn't use it for months because a massage therapist once told me that massage can spread your cancer.
Still not sure if that is true or not, everyone says something different...
All I know is massage feels good, and I am living to "Do what feels good!"
However, I did wait until chemo was over with and I called up the massage therapist.
She is very well known in our town for her outstanding contribution to almost every cause in the city and she has now specialized in palliative massage and massage for people with health issues, or people just out of surgery who cannot lay down....she even does massage for dogs!
Anyway, I had a fantastic massage from her and since have been booked in 3 more times.
We both agree that massage will relax and loosen up my body which will prove very beneficial for my surgery. As well, it has been a consistent hour of relaxed meditative time for me to focus on healing and having a healthy, successful surgery.
Last night she came to my home and taught my kids how to do massage on me. She really believes that as soon as I get home from Kelowna I should be receiving massage in order to keep blood flowing, prevent blood clots, relax the tight muscles that I will be using to avoid using the others...in general it is just a good idea.
So not only have my kids learned how to massage (they could use a little muscle power) but she has a group of students that will be coming out to my home on a regular basis, post-surgery, to work on me.
In some ways, I feel apprehensive about this...will it be too painful, do I want a bunch of strangers in my home seeing me all bandages up...
but, I think, in general, it will be very therapeutic, and in a way, is something to look forward to!




http://www.visionmagazine.com/archives/0802/images/Healing-Hands-massage.jpg




No comments: