Dream Creator

Dream Creator
My photo
Just a small town Canadian dreamer... This started as the diary of a young woman's experience with breast cancer and continues 5 years later as the diary of a woman, like many other, who has decided to take her lemons and make lemonade. **If reading this blog for the purpose of learning about my breast cancer experience, PLEASE START AT THE OLDEST POST (October 2009) AND WORK YOUR WAY FORWARD**

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Herceptin Day

Wednesday was my first real Herceptin.
I was given a dose a while back but it had to be discontinued due to a change in my chemo regime.
This past Wednesday was my first trip to the chemo room for JUST a Herceptin treatment (post chemo) sort of a glimpse into what my year is going to look like (as I have to get this treatment every 3 weeks)
To tell you the truth I am not thrilled about this.
I want to be DONE with the chemo room. It doesn't bring in good memories for me.
The thought I have to be stuck with and IV every 3 weeks is nauseating in itself.
As soon as I stepped foot in that room (by myself I add) and heard the beeping of the IV machines, I felt sick. That sound will forever trigger a churning in my belly....like Pavlov's Dog.
My oncologist was on holiday this day and so I spoke with his subsitute who was very kind.
I was toldI could possibly have a reaction to the Herceptin (great) though because I had a previous treatment without any effects, they felt confident I would be fine.
I was still nervous.
She also told me I could be ill after treatment, especially if I had nausea from chemo.
(great) but seeing as I didn't the last time, I should be fine.
I didn't feel all that confident, only because I was pumped up on steroids and antinauseants the last time I had Herceptin and this time I was going in naked.
It all turned out fine.
I did feel a little queasy during the infusion and for an hour or so after but all in all, it was fine.
The worst part was that it took 3.5 hrs from start to finish. It's extremely annoying that I will have to book an entire day off of my life to have this treatment every 3 weeks for the next YEAR!
I would be a bit more grateful for this (what-they-call miracle drug) if only I was sure I was HER2 positive. The fact that I am (after 2 tests) BORDERLINE gives no proof that this year long commitment with benefit me in any way.
But I may as well give it a go eh?
So that's about it...no real side effects from the drug. Just a yucky day spent in the chemo room, reminding me that I had cancer and am capable of a relapse.
Wha, wha whaaaaaa....
I know, I know....Debbie Downer.

No comments: